QRS Pedal Solenoid Issues

Ric Thompson ric1952 at msn.com
Mon Nov 26 13:59:24 MST 2007

Contact Steve at QRS  800-247-6557

Ric Thompson
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew and Rebeca Anderson<mailto:anrebe at sbcglobal.net>
  To: pianotuner at embarqmail.com<mailto:pianotuner at embarqmail.com> ; Pianotech List<mailto:pianotech at ptg.org>
  Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 12:39 PM
  Subject: QRS Pedal Solenoid Issues

  I have this Hallet & Davis mini-grand on the floor with a QRS system
  factory installed.  Saved a lot of time but dialing it in is very
  much necessary.  Pedal lock screws on "pitman" loose and it dialed
  itself way down... etc.

  It was played all day and it started having pedaling
  deficiencies.  Tried putting a hand on it, ouch--hot.  It felt like
  it was grinding to get down to the bottom of its travel.

  I noted that the pedal bar was at about a 5 to 7 degrees off axis to
  perpendicular to the solenoid.  The solenoid was operating about one
  inch back from the end of the bar.  I cut a six inch piece of wood
  7/8" to wider at a 5 degree angle painted it and mounted the solenoid
  to it.  I then turned up the power to the solenoid and now it is
  playing the Schumann Symphonic Etudes quite well from the 2002 Piano
  E Competition.

  Question, does anyone specialize in these QRS systems?  Is that
  grinding feel normal when very hot?  Obviously the factory install
  was perfunctory and nothing was idealized (angle, point of incidence
  to one side of the bar, loose set nuts etc.).  Any other heads up on this?

  Andrew Anderson