steinway consignment

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 07:38:22 MST 2007

>Why 20-30% in store, and 5% in home? I'll be saving them storage
>fees, and advertising the piano, showing it, and doing any tuning,
>regulating, voicing etc. to help sell it.

If I recondition a piano and place it on consignment in a store, they
want 20% (my
cost to move). So since this is in your space 20% if you only tune
it, 30% if you improve
it to cover your time. Otherwise cost of improvements, advertising
plus whatever
percentage you want for commission. You have to figure the ultimate sale price
and, what it cost to recondition it with expenses to attach an
appropriate commission.

A store wants more because they hopefully run on a 30% profit, offering much
less on a consignment hurts their bottom line since your piano eliminated a
possible sale of one of their own stock. 20% because they have no capital
tied up in it as they do with their stock.

I had a S&S A on consignment a few years back (decent piano) and I needed
to install a new back action. At a sale price of $32K, 20% commission left room
for the improvements. It didn't sell... 6 months later, dropped the
price to 28,
a few months later 25. Months later, someone came along and offered
18, I called
the owner and she said to accept the offer, not willing to undermine
my commission
I countered with 20 and the customer accepted. Fortunately the owner upped the
commission to 25% due my efforts and the valuable space it took up during the
sale period (1yr+).  Big ticket items don't move as fast as you'd hope.
--

Regards,

Jon Page