steinway consignment

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 08:24:03 MST 2007

There are two approaches to consider, one is a percentage of the sale price
which requires you to contact the seller to approve anything below what you
establish as the original asking price, the second is a fixed price to the
customer where their price upon sale is predetermined.  The second option
leaves more flexibility for you to do improvements as add-ons to the price
without having to pay 70% (in the case of 30% commission) of those costs
back to the consignor.  My view on these things is that pianos I sell (even
consigned ones) reflect on my reputation as a technician so I want them to
be in the best possible shape when they go out.  I insist that necessary
work be done before they are offered for sale but I want that investment to
come back to me, not the consignor.  A fixed price allows that more easily.
It does require a good understanding of the market beforehand to ensure that
you don't promise the consignor a price which is unreasonably high, but it
may give more flexibility in the long run.  A long term consignment
agreement (renewable) is also necessary to be sure that the piano with the
work you have done isn't pulled out from under you, along with an agreement
authorizing the work that you will do on the piano.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com