steinway consignment

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue Nov 27 22:30:53 MST 2007

And I will add that this formula below works for me only on $20K and
up instruments, and only with instruments that are very close to
"ready" to start with. I find when you remove any obstacle for the
client, the consignment arrangement becomes a relief for them, and
makes you seem like a hero.

It works like this: my costs are moving, our prep/triage work, some
small portion of total fixed and advertising costs for the Atelier,
time engaged in selling...let's say it adds up to 1750.00. The piano
is a "cupcake," pristine, low mileage C7. I sell it because it looks
great, and I can make it sound and feel better than the new ones on
the dealer's floor, for $25,000...with a warranty. I throw in a bench
and one free followup, and usually get a good long-term client out of
it (one that is committed to regular tuning and maintenance.) My
payment for $1750.00 worth of cash and time, and a career-long
buildup of reputation and trust?

$7500.00 if I'm taking 30%, $8750.00 if it's 35%. That's a fantastic
return on my investment of time and cash. Plus the yearly income from
a regular grand piano client averages $450-700.

The client gets $16-18K, which is about what they would have gotten
in a private party sale, and much more than any dealer would have
paid them. Everybody wins.

As my hero and mentor Ed Foote says:

       "Once again, the customer's trust is the biggest asset we can
have in
        this business. There is no reason not to get paid for being
trusted."

David Andersen
Malibu, CA
"safe from the flames one more time...."