Lucky Little Young Chang - (Was: A lucky little Baldwin question)

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Fri Oct 12 10:18:42 MDT 2007

MessageI had a unique experience with an extremely lucky little Young Chang.  I got a call from the music store regarding a virtually new PF-110 Queen Ann style cherry studio.  A family bought it for their little girl who took beginner lessons with it for about a year.  Then they decided to move into a bigger house.  Of course they located the cheapest movers in town who had no experience with pianos.  Whooooops!  Off it went half way up the lift gate!  One side was completely smashed, and the screws holding the left side of the keybed in place sheared off,  The piano lay looking like a dead animal.  They called the music store where they had bought it. Their movers picked up the carcass and brought it to my shop to evaluate.  As requested I took some pictures and sent them to their insurance company.  There was no technical damage per-say other then broken action brackets from the kinetic energy jolting the action.  I knew, however, that the case was going to be a cosmetic mess.

The piano sat in a corner for several weeks and I never heard anything back.  I waited and waited and finally called the music store to see what was going on.  Apparently the mover's insurance settled and they were getting a replacement piano.  The insurance had written off the damaged piano as a total loss and I had inherited it.  The piano remained in my shop for over a year until finally I pulled it out to look it over again and decide what to do with it.  It would need an entirely knew side.  I called Young Chang thinking there is NO WAY they would stock such a thing.  The parts tech put me on hold and a few minutes later came back and said "We've Got it"!  In a few days I received a big box with a new side and action brackets.  After removing the remains of the old side and constructing a few jigs for the job, I finally got it gluing with pipe clamps on it's back.  A few days later I had it regulated, tuned, and playing beautifully.  Bottom line - I just sold it for $3,000!!  I of course explained it's history to the new owner who took it in stride.  After all a new model would be about $6,400.  Cha-ching!!  - (for both of us).

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV