Hoisting pianos

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Sat Sep 1 23:13:11 MDT 2007

I own a simple chain hoist but am not against
purchasing a new toy. It's for the greater good
you know. :-) Pictures? Count on it!!! Bragging
rights? I hope we can count on that too!
I also have a discarded air driven hoist that I
might just have to get rebuilt for this project!
The possible complication not dealt with in many
posts is that the old piano has to come down too!
A winch is only meant to work in one direction! I
checked that out when I was thinking of having
one installed in the truck. Great for going up
the ramp but not so good for coming back down.
I'd burn up the motor and void the warrantee
according to one well known manufacturer.

Greg

At 12:36 AM 9/2/2007, you wrote:

>>Ron,
>>         The vaulted ceiling above the glass
>> wall leave more than enough swing room with
>> plenty to spare. Very high ceilings!
>>Greg Newell
>
>Ah, good deal. That makes it WAY more possible.
>What have you got for a hoist? A geared hoist,
>or differential, that won't drop the load when
>you let go, would definitely trump a block and
>tackle on my list. Can you get an electric chain
>hoist that will take the load? This is one of
>those missions that gets you braggin' rights if
>make it work and don't scuff the patina in the process.
>
>Photos before, and during would be instructive, if possible.
>Ron N

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com