Grand's action bracket runs UNDER the key sticks - impossible?

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 2 19:01:14 MDT 2007

Julia,
It's Krancih and Bach and welcome to the wacky world of Kranich & Bach where headaches are it's middle name.. I just finished a total restoration on one and swear this will be the last one that I do. A customer made me an offer to do the restoration which I  ( at the time ) couldn't refuse. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't obligated myself.
I went into this project full knowingly that I was going to make some change structural changes which would make my job easier, and easier for the next person who has to work on it. I made the decision to severe the action bracket from framed portion which runs under the keys and it is was a wise move. Now the action can be removed with ease without removing any extra parts.
Here's what you'll need to do:
Remove the hammer rest rail, and then all of the wippens. Next remove the keys. The action frame is one continuous inter-connected frame connected to the keyframe. You'll need a high speed cut-off wheel which I use on my air grinder. Cut along the strut edges where the normal portion of the action frame would normal end.Cut each strut free from the frame. Then drill pilot holes into the base area of each strut for the screwholes. Now the action frame is independent from the original frame and is free to be removed with the keys in place.
More hurdles to deal with: regulation
Plan on doing all of the regulation, aside from jack position and spring tension, in the piano. And I mean literally in the piano. If you try to mimic the set onto a bench, you'll end up with incorrect adjustments due to the fact the frame has some give in it.
Bottom line, plan each spending a lot of extra time if you commit to doing this beast. Or....do what I plan on doing on all  future K&B offers....walk away!
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original
  Message -----