Hoisting pianos

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Sep 3 07:36:19 MDT 2007

Farrell wrote:
> Yeah, but try to picture it. You've got this 5' x 5' square stack of
> 4x4s going from the floor to a height of maybe 15 or 18 feet. Then
> you've got another stack of 4x4s going from the floor of the balcony to
> a height of 4 feet or so. Each stack has five feet or more of space
> between them.

Well, I've got an 8' ramp. ;-}

> Sure, just lay down some long 4x4s or 6x6s or whatever it takes and
> maybe wheel the piano across. Would YOU get up there and wheel the piano
> way up in the air like that? Maybe you could nail some boards to the
> 6x6s, raising the edges so that you have something of a "U" channel to
> keep the dolly wheels from falling off the 6x6.

I'd be raising the piano strapped to a skid, not on a dolly, and when it
was getting to be level, I substitute the ramp for the top layer of
cribbing, with my stair roller on the end. It's amazing how easily the
piano rolls over them. 2' sections of pipe will keep it moving easily
across the ramp.

> I'm sure it's do-able, but gosh, actually doing it sound a bit
> treacherous to me! Fun to watch though! Kinda like going to a stock car
> race to watch the accidents......
>
> Terry Farrell

...or watching the crane pull a D off an 8th floor apartment balcony -
been there, done that, got the pictures.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.