[ExamPrep] Temperament

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 11:41:52 MDT 2007

I agree with these comments, completely.

If you did want to experiment with a change, how about tuning the so-called European Small temperament which is A4 to A3 with a sequence as you describe (down a 5th to D, up a 4th to G; down a 5th to C, up 4th to F, Down 5th to A#, up 4th to D#--then up ANOTHER fourth to G#; down a 5th to C#, up 4th to F#; down 5th to B, up to E; then down a 5th to A, compare it to the octave, and hope you aren't more than, say, 37 cents off!

I think I have that right, dredgeing deep in the memory, and I believe it has been used by many S&S C&A folks—including Franz Mohr—for a long time. So, obviously, you can develop some checks and make it go.

Then again, those C&A guys are pretty much tuning Bs and Ds over and over and over and they probably have the sounds of those temperaments engrained in the brain, indelibly. Translating all of that to 60's PA Stark spinet might just be a bit of a challenge. Then again, in such a piano, would it reallllllly matter how the temperament goes? Ha.

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO