Bridge Root Spring-Forward

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 19:34:31 MDT 2007

"Again, I suspect this isn't unheard of, if not advertised, in manufacturing."

Oh gosh, where have I heard that very thing....... "Every one of our pianos is unique - every one of our pianos has its own personality"?

Hmmmmm, golly gee, where was it that I heard that.......

Could it be that the small shop is building pianos as good.....oh, err, I mean, almost as good as the NY manufacturer that need not be mentioned?

Oops. There I go again. Sorry 'bout that. I'll go crawl back into my little shop hole and behave myself.

Okay, back to the subject at hand. Ron, thanks for the reflection. That tells me that it is just something that happens.

But now I'm curious: I can correct the small deviation in bridge shape with my pinky and just move the tenor tail over to where I want it and screw it to the soundboard - that way my design speaking lengths are maintained. From your description, it appears you are compromising your speaking lengths so that you don't have to induce a little bend in your bridge. I understand that your analysis of the string scale suggest that in the tenor section the small changes in speaking lengths are not critical - but why not just bend the bridge a bit and maintain the design speaking lengths?

Terry Farrell