Bridge Root Spring-Forward

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 20:54:18 MDT 2007

> Oh gosh, where have I heard that very thing....... "Every one of our
> pianos is unique - every one of our pianos has its own personality"?

Deja Vu all over again. Hey, us little guys can be world class
too, if we squint at it just right.

> But now I'm curious: I can correct the small deviation in bridge shape
> with my pinky and just move the tenor tail over to where I want it and
> screw it to the soundboard - that way my design speaking lengths are
> maintained. From your description, it appears you are compromising your
> speaking lengths so that you don't have to induce a little bend in your
> bridge. I understand that your analysis of the string scale suggest that
> in the tenor section the small changes in speaking lengths are not
> critical - but why not just bend the bridge a bit and maintain the
> design speaking lengths?

Well, that's the thing. According to the scaling spreadsheet,
a pinky's worth is in the range of system noise. Staking the
root out in the corrected curve, and epoxying a laminated cap
to it would likely bring it back into pretty close tolerance
to design specs and stabilize it there, but in practice - if
it doesn't walk any different than a duck, and it doesn't
sound any different than a duck... ??? Duck it! There are more
important potential disasters to which to attend. (pinky up)
Mustn't scare the molecules unnecessarily, you know.
Ron N