Bridge Root Spring-Forward

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Thu Sep 6 13:30:44 MDT 2007

> looking at the results on the scaling spreadsheet, that a
> couple of millimeters length change either way in the lower
> third of the tenor bridge is realistically undetectable. Now I
> put the top two thirds of the scale on the bridge where I want
> it, maintaining design lengths as closely as I can, and center
> the unisons on the bottom third where they fall. Play it where
> it lies. Again, I suspect this isn't unheard of, if not
> advertised, in manufacturing. Horrors!
>
> Ron N

That's interesting. I recall that Bob Hohf in one of those mega-part articles on bridge notching also described centering his unisons on the root in favor of maintaining speaking lengths. In this case his thought was that uneven placement of the unisons contributed to bridge roll.

What good is cake if I can't eat it. Sure tastes better than crow.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545