Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 19:35:52 MDT 2007

This has me baffled.

I'm drilling Delignit blocks for tuning pins.  2/0 pins.  2 step hole, aka Ron's
2 step drilling procedure, with
modifications to suit my equipment and personality.

Block on the bench on an adjustable beveled bed.

1st pass, drill hole @ 1/4" using a fixture I made which holds a 1/4" drill
bushing right up close and personal
to the block to stabilize the initial hole and make up for the inaccuracy of my
press.
2nd pass with a slightly shy "I" bit (.271) which has a non-cutting 1/4" pilot
ground on the 1st 1/2"
of the tip to center the 2nd pass. I dust the pins with rosin before driving.

Holes are nice and consistent as proved by consistent torques (130in/lb) on .282
mic'd pins.

Here's the weird part. I mic the pins and am mostly only using the pins that are
either .282, or slightly light
at about .281 or .2805.  When I drive both the .282 and the light pins the light
pins consistently torque at
about 20-25 lbs more than the .282 pins.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Jim I