Tuning pin drilling?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 21:18:59 MDT 2007

> 1st pass, drill hole @ 1/4" using a fixture I made which holds a 1/4" drill
> bushing right up close and personal
> to the block to stabilize the initial hole and make up for the inaccuracy of my
> press.

I transfer punch and center drill mine for the same reason.

> 2nd pass with a slightly shy "I" bit (.271) which has a non-cutting 1/4" pilot
> ground on the 1st 1/2"
> of the tip to center the 2nd pass.

The ground down section is not really necessary. The second
pass will center nicely in the pilot hole automatically. I
suspect, in fact, that an old worn out sloppy press like my
own aids this self centering, if anything. Then again, have
you tried test drilling some Delignit scrap in a single pass
with this step drill?

>I dust the pins with rosin before driving.

Likewise.

> Holes are nice and consistent as proved by consistent torques (130in/lb) on .282
> mic'd pins.
>
> Here's the weird part. I mic the pins and am mostly only using the pins that are
> either .282, or slightly light
> at about .281 or .2805.  When I drive both the .282 and the light pins the light
> pins consistently torque at
> about 20-25 lbs more than the .282 pins.

What pins are you using, that you get that much variation?

> This makes absolutely no sense to me.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?

None whatsoever, but I'd happily smile and take it as if I'd
done something to earn it. I used to drill the second pass in
Delignit with a 6.8mm (0.268"), and before that, a 1/4" single
pass in the maple multilam. Since I started using the 9mm
Delignit capped maple multilam composite, I get higher final
torque with the 6.8mm second pass than I did with Delignit.
The bit mic's the same, so it's not wearing down smaller,
otherwise I don't know why that is.
Ron N