Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 21:24:20 MDT 2007

<I resaw, and plane with regular old standard high speed steel
<knives. No problem. How are you getting blocks planed to
<appropriate thicknesses if not in your planer? And what brand
<of planer won't handle this? Mine's an old 12" Parks.

<Ron N

Its not a question of the planer, but of the knives.  I never run plywood
or anything with hard glue lines (like delignti) through my planer or joiner because
the glue nicks the steel instantly and dulls the blades beyond usability.

I thickness delignit blocks on a resaw and clean 'em up with a 4" carbide
power plane

My planer is a heavy sooped-up 1950's vintage delta 13" which is set up for fine finish
planing and picky ass dimensioning.  I wish I had a terminus head in it
to quickly be able to switch between steel and carbide.

But really, how the devil do you run hard glue lines like delignit through your steel
planer knives?  Aren't  your knives knicked to beat the band, or did you put a very flat
sharpening angle on the knives? I don't know anyone who wouldn't shoot someone
trying to put plywood through steel knives.

Of course drills are also steel...?

Jim