Tuning pin drilling?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Sep 10 14:33:47 MDT 2007

> But really, how the devil do you run hard glue lines like delignit through your steel
> planer knives?  Aren't  your knives knicked to beat the band, or did you put a very flat
> sharpening angle on the knives? I don't know anyone who wouldn't shoot someone
> trying to put plywood through steel knives.
>
> Of course drills are also steel...?
>
> Jim

Sorry, didn't get this answered.

Consider me shot. My planer doesn't do picky finish work, it's
here to remove material and get on with it. Yes, Delignit
dulls steel blades, but so does rock maple. Neither has nicked
a blade that I've seen, though I have hit buried nasties and
nicked them. I have a back beveled blade set I use when I'm
planing the Delignit, and maple, and a normally sharpened set
for spruce. If I'm doing a bunch of maple or spruce, I'll put
in the appropriate blade set. Otherwise, whichever is in there
gets used as is. Even planing the Delignit with the normally
sharpened set doesn't do them significant damage for what I'm
doing.

Now I do have a significant edge fetish, and all my chisels
and knives are kept quite sharp, but the planer is apparently
outside that particular obsession for me.
Ron N