damper rod noise

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:45:35 MDT 2007

The noises I describe as "scratchy" are usually either 1) the rod
itself as it lifts the dampers (damper lever felt) or 2) the damper
springs in the lever slot, or 3) the helper "damper" spring.

If 1), I lube the rod with Protek grease (MPL??).  If 2), the lube
will depend on the slot whether it has felt or no felt.  If felt, I've
had some success with teflon powder.  If no felt, I think Protek CLP
worked.  You can always try it on one to see if it works.  If 3),
Protek CLP works at least short-term.  (I can't recall if the noise
has returned on one I've lubed.)

To diagnose, remove the action and lift the dampers with the rod.  If
you hear the noise, you have to determine if it's coming from the
damper lever felt or the lever slot.  Then s-l-o-w-l-y lift a section
of dampers with your hand.  If you hear the noise then, it's in the
damper lever slot.

JF