damper rod noise

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 17:01:01 MDT 2007

On 9/8/07, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

> The noises I describe as "scratchy" are usually either 1) the rod
> itself as it lifts the dampers (damper lever felt) or 2) the damper
> springs in the lever slot, or 3) the helper "damper" spring.
>
> If 1), I lube the rod with Protek grease (MPL??).  If 2), the lube
> will depend on the slot whether it has felt or no felt.  If felt, I've
> had some success with teflon powder.  If no felt, I think Protek CLP
> worked.  You can always try it on one to see if it works.  If 3),
> Protek CLP works at least short-term.  (I can't recall if the noise
> has returned on one I've lubed.)
>
> To diagnose, remove the action and lift the dampers with the rod.  If
> you hear the noise, you have to determine if it's coming from the
> damper lever felt or the lever slot.  Then s-l-o-w-l-y lift a section
> of dampers with your hand.  If you hear the noise then, it's in the
> damper lever slot.
>
> JF
>
> On 9/8/07, richard.ucci at att.net <richard.ucci at att.net> wrote:
> >

> > This situation occurs with the action out as well.
> >
> > -------------- Original message from "Farrell" <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
> >:
> > --------------
> >

> > I've seen Asian verticals with damper rods rubbing on the plate. That'll
> > make a real scratchy sound.
> >
> > Terry Farrell

If it's the damper springs in the slot w/no felt I've found that frequently
it's just the first 1/2 dozen or so in the bass end. Try holding them up and
try the rest if that solves it you know the culprit. My fix, a little more
permanent and cheaper tann spraying everthing willy-nilly with Protek, is to
move the springs out of the way and "color" in the slots with a dull
pencil(a sharp one taked too long) covering the area the spring rubs on
thoroughly. To do all 6 will take about 2 or 3 minutes. You will have
re-graphited them and the problem will be gone for awhile until the graphite
wears off again.

--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404