pitch perception

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sat Sep 8 17:19:25 MDT 2007

        Same here.  We learned a C3 to C4 temperament.  The C3 to E3 major
third was supposed to beat at the rate of 5 bps, or "Min-ne-a-po-lis,"
pronounced somewhat slowly, and the E3 to G#3 major third, at 7 bps, was
the phrase "From Chi-ca-go to New York."  The next contiguous major third,
G#3 to C4, was at 9 bps, but there was no phrase anybody could say fast
enough that was useful - we just listened for a 5-7-9 relationship between
the three thirds.  I still use it for roughing-in pitch raises or when
tuning aurally.  I purposely don't use the ETD now and then, just to keep
the aural skills up.
        --David Nereson, RPT