Name that piano

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Sep 11 13:26:28 MDT 2007

>>I've seen that on quite a few old German makes. Perhaps the idea
>>was to keep the bridge pins from splitting the cap along the grain?
>>
>>Jurgen Goering
>
>That's the only thing I've ever thought of that even came close to
>making any sense, but only if everyone else's bridge caps split
>along the pin rows, which they did not.

Ron N and Jurgen,

I also suspect that is probably the thinking. Bechstein used to cap
bridges in this way also - don't know if they still do. The
differential expansion of the wood across the glue joint between the
body of the bridge and cap would often cause the glue joint to fail
in sheer. I've seen this quite a few times, particularly with some of
the older instruments which were presumably assembled using hide glue.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers