Tuning pin drilling?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 12 09:55:36 MDT 2007

> When you run maple through the back beveled set does it tend to burnish at all.
> My single bevel set can burnish when preparing thin laminate layers

If they're dull enough, sure. Otherwise, not enough to be
troublesome. Sort of the difference between ideal, and practical.

> By the way, at your suggestion on the .272 bits with a 1/2"x1/4" diam. step, I sharpened the step
> to experiment with single pass 2 step drilling. So far they are yielding consistent
> and acceptable holes on my guided/cooled drilling rig...I'm going to try it out
> on an entire block...see how it does.
>
> Jim

Try some scrap, meanwhile, without cooling, if you would. One
of the benefits of two step drilling with two different bits,
is that the second pass doesn't generate enough heat to affect
accuracy, so no cooling is necessary on either pass. I'm
curious how that would work with the step drill.

Ron N