Tuning pin drilling?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 11:45:19 MDT 2007

<Ron wrote

<I have a back beveled blade set I use when I'm
<planing the Delignit, and maple, and a normally sharpened set
<for spruce.

Ah! thats what I was wondering.  Its a good idea...in my case blade changes
take 1.5 hrs., so I'm reluctant to do it unless a lot of board feet are going through.
And I think if I were going to change blades I might dedicate a carbide blade to the task.

When you run maple through the back beveled set does it tend to burnish at all.
My single bevel set can burnish when preparing thin laminate layers

By the way, at your suggestion on the .272 bits with a 1/2"x1/4" diam. step, I sharpened the step
to experiment with single pass 2 step drilling. So far they are yielding consistent
and acceptable holes on my guided/cooled drilling rig...I'm going to try it out
on an entire block...see how it does.

Jim