Two new books

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Sep 12 12:10:20 MDT 2007

Thank you for your kind words Chet!  I looked at the small diagram on Page
168 of the other scale (very similar to what I use) and thought, that's what
I need, to help me memorise Capleton's scale, so I drew it (amateurishly,
leaning on a book on my lap!).

The red dashed lines are the "secondary" intervals, or checks (though
Capleton doesn't call them that).  They are numbered to go with the stage in
the tuning scale at which they appear.

Thus, (on P 170) Capleton says, at step 5, "Tune the A, below the E and the
D. The fifth A-E should be narrow, with a beat rate of 0.7 beats per second,
at a pitch one octave above the E.  Again, if listening to the beat rate two
octaves above the E, the beat rate is doubled to 1.4 beats per second.  The
fourth A-D should be wide, with a beat rate of 1 beat per second, at a pitch
two octaves above the A".

On my diagram, that fourth, A-D, is shown in red, along with all other such
"check" intervals.

I'm attaching a scan, which is clearer than the photo I sent.

What do you think of the two books, Chet?  I find the regulating one
disappointing visually. I feel that the sans serif font is a bad choice. I
would have preferred a larger format too, with photos.  The Tuning book is
complex and amost philosophical, but it seems to me to be a valuable
addition to the literature on the subject.

Best regards,

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for the diagram.  It's a very clever way to visually represent
tuning Brian Capleton's temperament scale (I got both his books).  I'll
soon be applying the technique to some other temperaments I've been
working on.  However, I have what is probably a pretty stupid question.
What are the red dashed lines?  It's probably obvious but I just don't
see it.

Thanks,
Chet Kieffer