lyre problem

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 12 15:11:30 MDT 2007

> Gulbransen fetal grand with (of all things) a PianoDisc.

No surprise there. Most of the Disklaviers sold here are in
the absolute low end of the lines.

> Problem is that lyre braces were removed to install PianoDisc, leaving
> no place for OEM or supply house braces.  (The control unit under the
> piano is attached to where the braces normally would be.)  There are
> two screws that hold the lyre in place.  Without the braces, they
> have, of course, stripped out the wood.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PianoDisc installations.
Again, no surprise. The T-nuts that Barb suggested are your
best bet, but you still need braces. Otherwise, the next
repair will be loose or broken lyre posts, and/or a split top
block. So do, and charge, whatever it takes to get braces on
the thing. Before you start, though, take a look at what it
will take to engineer and build the necessary hardware to get
the pedals working somewhere near right, especially if there
happens (long shot) to be a sostenuto.

Now before the torchlight parade across the Moors gets under
way, I know none of you upstanding folks on this list do
anything but the finest PianoDisc installs, it's just that I
don't happen to have ever seen a good one in the wild. The
ones I see were done by someone with neither name, mechanical
talent, nor concern for piano function.

Ron N