Overseas employment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Sep 18 02:54:46 MDT 2007

I appreciate the appropriate translation to English Jurgen.  Literally
the world Klavierbauer translates to "piano builder".  Yet there is not
a single one of these fellows/gals comming freshly out of factory
training that could even come close to building a piano.  Most never
gain enough broad based experience to build an entire instrument from
scratch... or even half way in their entire careers. The minimum
requirements for the title are quite rudimentary really.   Even the
<<Meister>> degree which is quite thorough really does not necessarily
guarantee a future rebuilder of any high skilled level.  I know a few
independants that for instance cant even remember from their school days
how to shaft a bridge together.

This title in German is actually a bit problematic when translated to
some of our other European languages, as several decide to translate
directly to Piano Builder and tout themselves as such, citing this
<<prestigious degree>>.  To my mind of thinking this is pure false
advertising.

The translation  any language to "Piano Technician" is the correct one.
Personally I'd like to see the German association impress this upon
their foreign trainees.

Cheers
RicB

    A tiny correction if I may:
    "Bund Deutscher Klavierbauer" is the association of German piano
    technicians.  The German piano manufacturers have their own association
    is called  "Bundesverband Klavier" http://www.pianos.de/

    Jurgen Goering