Overseas employment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Sep 18 15:58:17 MDT 2007

I would be very interested to hear from any of our German or central
European readers if the below statement is correct.  There are a very
few here in Norway who declare themselves to be BKD certified
<<Klavierbaur>> and indeed translate this to mean Piano Builders /
Makers.  None of these are Meisters and none of them could even begin to
really build a piano. This fact has been a moment of irritation for more
then a few... especially those who actually do have some significant
rebuilding skills but have not been through any german factory
training.  If the correct translation is Piano Builder Helper... or more
likely Piano Technician.... then it seems to me they should be required
to represent their certification more in accordance with what it
actually is.  If their diploma actually does on the other hand simply
state Klavierbaur... I would submit the term is entirely misleading.
These fellows have no idea of how to scale a piano, how to install a
soundboard, rarely how to measure and notch a bridge.... indeed most of
them seem to have little or no real experience with grands.  I mean what
can you expect in three years of apprenticeship in a factory situation
where you are first and formost required to be able to contribute to the
production line enough to justify your presence there. Heck... tuning
alone requires the better part of one years work.

A bit of clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
RicB

    What you probably mean as the lower degree "Klavierbauer" is a shortcut
    of  the degree "Klavierbauergeselle" what means literarilly
    "piano builder helper", and is the first degree after apprentice.
    The use of the title Klavierbauer, implies that you have the master
    title in germany.