Overseas employment

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 01:34:34 MDT 2007

indeed the title Klavierbauer is misleading, regardless of Geselle or Master degree. I am Klavierbauergeselle but I feel as piano technician. I have no idea to construct or build a new piano or design a scale or to build a new soundboard. All I can do is to completely rebuild a piano: repairing the soundboard, restringing, new hammers, bridge, pinblock and dampers and so on. On the other hand: with a master degree one could be able to construct and build a piano, depending also on his personally skills. But this is not what is demanded in the examination. As Bernhard mentioned: to get the master degree you have to make a 3.5 years apprenticeship and then work for 5 years to be entitled to attend the master school for one year. Everybody with that master degree has my maximum respect. It is not easy to get and garantees very high skills!

The tilte Klavierbauer is misleading due to historic reasons: the apprenticeship can be done in a factory or in a rebuilding workshop, but the exam is the same. Both kind of apprentices attend the Klavierbauer school in Ludwigsburg for 3 month each year, besides of learning in the workshop or factory. Working in the factory means that you really build pianos or at least you are involved in building pianos. Learning in a workshop means to rebuild only. 3.5 years of fulltime learning including attending the school should be enough to learn the most essential things.

Even if it is misleading: I am happy to call myself "piano maker (Klavierbauer)" because it is better marketing than "piano technician". If here in Germany someone is called piano technician it means that he has not the Klavierbauer title. Everybody may call himself piano technician, but the use of the term Klavierbauer is limited to those who made the apprenticeship.

Gregor