Decomposing key leads

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 20:16:58 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/23/07 12:25:55 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
thetuner at ivories52.com writes:

I noticed on the  last tuning of this piano that all the key leads are
starting to get covered  over with that white fluffy powder that indicates
decomposition. My first  thought was that the owners of this inexpensive piano would
never go for key  lead replacement. Besides, it's probably too soon in the
process to think in  that direction. My next thought was to take all the keys out
and soft-wire  brush the powder off the ends of the leads and then seal them
off with  some clear spray paint of some kind. Lacquer, Rust-O-Leum, AquaNet,
whatever.  Anything to hopefully stall the process. And then I realized that
the wiser thing to do would be to bring the subject up here first.  So, any
thoughts? Any suggestions?

-- Geoff  Sykes
-- Los  Angeles

We have a lot of this here in Hawaii. I've been instructed to use a chisel
to cut off the lead that is outside the width of the key, and then, as you
alluded to, instead of lacquer, seal it with spray shellac. You want to also
look at the other side of the key. Sometimes the lead will push the wood out,
but not all the way through. So with your chisel, remove excess wood. It is
advisable to wear a mask to avoid breathing in any lead particles.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, Hawaii
Author, "The  Business of Piano Tuning".
available from Potter  Press.
www.pianotuning.com