Decomposing key leads

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Sep 23 21:22:04 MDT 2007

I agree with both these responses. I either grind the excess off or slice it off with a chisel. I've never painted them with anything. A few of these pianos I have serviced for five or more years after trimming the key leads and have not found them to grow back. No doubt that they may over time, but most pianos with this problem are well past their prime anyway and will never see rebuilding, so it seems to me that trimming/grinding is a very cost-effective solution when you can't talk the owner into sending the piano off to that great concert hall in the sky. And yeah, don't breathe the dust - chiseling is probably the better option.

If the piano is worth the extra expense, then of course, replace leads. Or maybe we need to improve Front Weights???????, etc., etc.

Terry Farrell