Decomposing key leads

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Mon Sep 24 00:28:47 MDT 2007

I have found that Hobart M. Cable is currently being made by America Sejung
Corp. They are located in Canada, and the piano is manufactured in either
China or Korea. The store they purchased it from pretty much ignored their
requests for repairs that were essentially just a need for initial new piano
prep, and refused to tune the piano for them after delivery. Which is why
they called me in the first place.

I think it will be quite some time before the leads actually expand and
cause difficulty. This is, after all, a "new" piano. I think my immediate
concern was the knowledge that these people have three young children and I
was concerned about the probably remote dangers of exposure to this
decomposing/oxidizing lead. Thanks to all for the feedback. I don't see any
little piles of dust yet. Just the light powdery beginnings on the ends of
the leads themselves. I think I will just watch the situation for a while
and see how it progresses before I even mention the situation to them. I
may, however, try to talk to someone at the store about the situation just
to see if warranty service will even cover this. And if so, how? Good
suggestion.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles