Decomposing key leads

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 24 03:28:42 MDT 2007

Hi Geoff,

Only now after re-reading your original post do I realize that this is a nearly-new piano. I also now see that the leads have not expanded, but rather are just showing initial signs of oxidation.

I agree with Wim that it is not likely that the dealer or manufacturer will do anything for the situation. From their viewpoint: "Hey, the keys aren't sticking are they? So you don't have a problem, right?"

As far as health & safety for the kids goes, I'd view this situation like one does for asbestos: Isolate it. The back of the keys (I trust any leads are on the rear half of the keys) are fairly isolated from the pianists environment by the keybed and the fallboard. Being that there is no source of airflow to blow the powdered lead out from that area, I doubt it poses a significant risk. Seems they have a better chance of exposure to lead from their Barbie dolls or Thomas choo-choo toys.

In this particular case the suggestions of some to coat the exterior of the leads may indeed reduce exposure chance. Also, if there is any worry about it, David Love's suggestion to just replace the leads and be done with it is certainly a valid solution - perhaps the best - it is really not a major job.

Terry Farrell