Randy Potter's Seminar

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Sep 24 03:41:48 MDT 2007

To cut to the chase: If you don't have an old piano to practice on, "HOW DO
YOU EXPECT TO LEARN IT"!

Don't mean to get on your case, but I really don't think it is possible to
work through his course without a practice piano. You mention that the
tuning isn't a problem to learn - but how on earth can you learn to tune
without a piano to practice tuning on? Use that same piano to learn
regulation.

And BTW, there is ALWAYS room for an old used piano! Two feet by five feet -
that's all you need!

I bought an old Starr upright to practice tuning and regulation on. Ten
years later, it still is a benefit to me: The pinblock serves as some major
components in my overhead drill press; the backposts have gone into belly
bracing on a few grands; the keybed makes for a nice shop shelf; and the
Knabe I am currently finishing up has a few hunks of the Starr's plate
epoxied on the bottom side where my vertical hitches had to go into a thin
area on the plate.

Terry Farrell