Re; New Use For Goose's String Leveling Tool/Old News To me

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 17:46:37 MDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

> I agree...
> RicB
>

>    I don't want to start another seat-the-strings-on-the-bridge
> controversy
>    but I do have a hard time equating  "weight of the (2 lb) hammer do the
>    work" and "a light tap".  That can really damage the edge of the
> bridge.
>

>    dp
>

>    David M. Porritt, RPT
>
> "I use a 2 lb. hammer and place it either side of the bridge on the string
and strike gently(wearing safety glasses)"
I did not, at any point say or suggest placing it ON the bridge, that was a
conclusion jumped to by those reading the post who, obviously did not read
carefully. I may not have been crystal clear about how far either side of
the bridge I place it. However when I saw David's confusion I immediately
posted a clarification. I am disappointed that David would assume this was
what I meant since I feel only a very uninformed individual would seat
strings in the manner he assumed I was advocating. I took pains to explain
the credentials of the individual I learned it from, an RPT of some 50+
years experience. To reject it out of hand due to misunderstanding what he
read is not the sort of behavior I've come to expect from those on the list.

It was my understanding( I never assume) that those reading these posts
would read and retain ALL of the post, not just select portions that
supported their assumptions or unproven theories.
In plain language, if you haven't tried it, don't knock it!!

For those who prefer to seat their strings directly on the bridge I did
learn an alternative method, from the same source, using a standard upright
hammer shank, place the tip of the shank on the string on top of the bridge
toward the pin and tap it lightly with the side of a pliers. If you strike
too hard, you will only split the shank! Repeat both sides of each string,
you will find this slower, more expensive( you'll split a lot of hammer
shanks) and not as accurate as the other method but for those of you afraid
of trying something new that might actually work, this would be the ticket!

Mike
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.
- Denis Waitley

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service