Decomposing key leads

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 24 18:29:02 MDT 2007

Hi all,

1.  Whilst working in China one old piano worker said they put beeswax into the lead when molten to ensure the lead doesn't oxidise.

2. When living in Darwin I shaved the leads on a piano then painted them. 5 years later I had to reshave some of them. Another 5 years passed and I replaced them, mended split keys and decided I should ham replaced them in the first place.

3. Leads seem to grow, oxidise or whatever in just about every type or brand of piano. Have seen it in Feurichs, Yamahas, Seilers, American pianolas etc but not in the older Chinese pianos.

Tony Caught
Australia
0427 850 737
acaught at internode.on.net