Re; New Use For Goose's String Leveling Tool/Old News To me

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Sep 24 22:27:03 MDT 2007

Likewise Michael,

Just because a technician has 50 yrs. experience does not validate any technique that tech espouses.
If there is one argument that will very quickly get me rolling my eyes and asking questions like, "hmmm, is this technique valid?" is the argument that so and so learned this technique from some RPT, RTT, whatever, who has been working in the field for 97 years as a tech..

Techniques change, education must be continually upgraded, even in this field, our understandings of processes (hopefully) grows.  Lots of techs seated strings willy-nilly for lots of years, citing the improvement in tone/stability, but never bothered to look at the leading edge (or center, for that matter) of the bridge for string indentations - damage.

And yes, I agree with others that a 2lb hammer used to seat strings - anywhere on the string - is excessive and potentially damaging.  No one jumped to conclusions Michael.  When you seat the string, applying force at any point on the string you wish, you are seating the string on the bridge.  The idea was not rejected out of hand due to a misunderstanding, it was rejected because, many feel that the method you describe is excessive, even seating advocates like Ric B.  ;-]

I also think that the converse is important - we should not simply accept something out of hand, because someone said we should, without due diligence.

William R. Monroe

Michael wrote:
  "I use a 2 lb. hammer and place it either side of the bridge on the string and strike gently(wearing safety glasses)"
  I did not, at any point say or suggest placing it ON the bridge, that was a conclusion jumped to by those reading the post who, obviously did not read carefully. I may not have been crystal clear about how far either side of the bridge I place it. However when I saw David's confusion I immediately posted a clarification. I am disappointed that David would assume this was what I meant since I feel only a very uninformed individual would seat strings in the manner he assumed I was advocating. I took pains to explain the credentials of the individual I learned it from, an RPT of some 50+ years experience. To reject it out of hand due to misunderstanding what he read is not the sort of behavior I've come to expect from those on the list.

  It was my understanding( I never assume) that those reading these posts would read and retain ALL of the post, not just select portions that supported their assumptions or unproven theories.
  In plain language, if you haven't tried it, don't knock it!!

  Mike
  Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience.
  - Denis Waitley

  Michael Magness
  Magness Piano Service
  608-786-4404