Re; New Use For Goose's String Leveling Tool/Old News To me

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Sep 25 00:54:22 MDT 2007

I beg to differ, and I think rather that the original jist of the post
rather proves the matter. It is (should) be quite obvious by now that
the strings can be suspended off the bridge by the pins themselves
without any part of the bridge itself being below the strings line of
deflection caused by the height of the bridge vs an undeflected straight
line from front termination to hitch pin / plate bearing.  When ever
that condition exists... as it clearly can.. string seating is entirely
appropriate and clearly beneficial.  I sure hope no one is suggesting
that leaving strings floating in the air when this condition does exist
is good advice.

That said... all that is needed is a very light tap on the bridge itself
just behind each pin... this can be accomplished quite nicely with
something so simple as a hammer shank and something very light to tap on
the thing... for example the sides of a flat nosed pliers... whatever.

As in most if not all things... moderation is the proper course.

Cheers
RicB

     > Haven't tried a thumbnail, but I have pressed with a finger to see if
     > the strings "needed" seating.  Actually, I've only seated strings
    once
     > in the last couple of years.  It was on a newish piano.
     >
     > I'm very gentle when doing it, though.

    You won't do any more "good" with a sledge than you will with
    a thumbnail, and will do a hell of a lot less damage in the
    process. You aren't "fixing" anything with string seating in
    any case, so the less intrusive the better - if you must.
    Ron N