Re; New Use For Goose's String Leveling Tool/Old News To me

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Sep 25 11:10:00 MDT 2007

Mike:

Since my reply to you kind of got this sad thread going, let me say I
have indeed done this procedure in the past.  I have heard the
improvement in sound and seen the strings move.  Depending on how the
light is hitting the string the move can be quite impressive.

I was a hero once on a lady's Baldwin L when I made the sound more
solid, and heard the false beats diminish.  A week later when the
unfocused sound returned and the false beats were again prominent I
started to investigate what was really happening.  Bearing on this piano
was marginal causing the bad sounds.  My knocking the strings down on
the bridge made the leading edge of the bridge even worse than it had
been (I really didn't hit it very hard, but steel strings are somewhat
harder than maple).  Since that time (30-years ago) I've resisted the
temptation to be a hero for a week.

If you feel you're helping the piano and not damaging the bridge I'm all
for you.  I wouldn't have responded to your post at all had it not been
for your 2lb. hammer comment.  Since I had only done this with a brass
drift tapped by a small pair of needle nose pliers the 2lb. hammer just
jumped off the screen.  My original question was if that were a typo and
you really meant a 2oz hammer.  I see I should have left what I thought
was a typo alone.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu