V-Bar question

Michael Kurta mkurta at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 25 13:36:04 MDT 2007

    Hi Gang:
    I'm writing for one of our sight impaired chapter members who is having trouble restringing a 36" Sabel 85 note vertical c.1953, European.   He indicates the treble V-bar is not cast into the plate and is free to move around.  His question is how does the V-bar remain in one place as he puts tension on the strings?  It seems to be shifting as the strings are brought up to pitch.  Does string pressure alone keep it in position?  Does the pressure bar have any bearing (pun) on this?  Anyone run into this before?
    Thanks for your help, and Rodney thanks you too.....
    Mike Kurta, President
    Syracuse NY chapter