Seating Strings: Putting it to Rest/Out of It's Misery

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 15:40:36 MDT 2007

Below are copies of 3 posts from today, the first from RicB I found to be a
reasoned well thought response to what I had to say and I thank him for it.
The 2nd from Ed Sutton equally reasoned and well thought I wish to thank him
as well. The 3rd from Ron Nossaman who finally admitted to having tried it
and went on to explain where I could find more about it in greater detail as
a good teacher would, (I talked to Conrad H. and he told me you're a good
man Ron), so I want to thank him for doing so.
I presume the rest of you, in your own way were trying to tell me the same
things, however I don't respond well to attack dog style teaching methods.
Those of you who prefer that style could learn a thing or two from Ric, Ed
and Ron.

I will apologize for being new to the list and not knowing this was such a
touchy subject. If I feel strongly about something I won't shy away from it
just because others disagree however if it's been discussed at length
already and I have nothing to add but stirring up tempers I see nothing to
be gained.

So I will allow my post to die away while I do my reading on the subject as
suggested by Ron.

Mike

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas
Edison

************************************************************************************************************************
Hi again..

Just a couple more thoughts.  In all fairness I would like to point
out that one of the most respected techs in all of Europe, and a
fellow that Steinway Hamburg relies on very heavily for some of their
most critical work is of like mind (by all reports I get)to our new
friend Mike. Mike by no means stands alone in this thinking, nor does
the teacher he referes to with so much respect.

I'd also point out that this procedure was one I ran into very early
on and used for several years before some of the guys and gals at
Sherman Clay in Seattle pointed out to me that perhaps I might think
about a few of the consequences that perhaps might not be so
desirable that result from this procedure.

Then came the Nossaman thinking along in my own life... which took
things to the far extreme on the other side.... yet there was a good
deal about his reasoning I found and still do quite compelling.

My own nature is to seek middle ground... because usually thats where
truth lies nearest.  So after quite a bit of pondering I wrote the
article that appeared in the journal a couple years back which pretty
clearly sums up the problem and what the controversy is all about.  I
left it up to each reader to decide whether a string could be
unseated in the face of positive downbearing.

The initiative I took in starting this post... was the discovery of a
very clear and extremely easy way of proving to oneself that that
last mentioned can indeed occur.  In which case strings actually do
need seating.

That said, whatever seating procedure that is used should not be of
character that creates an indentation in the bridge that lies below
the strings line of deflection.  I'll leave it up to the individual
to judge whether or not ones own methods and means do or dont.

Cheers
RicB
*************************************************************************************************************************

 Mike-

"String seating," using some kind of tapping or pressing has been a commonly
taught procedure for many years, both by individuals teachers and major
manufacturers' representatives.

More recently, in particular due to a better understanding of the effects of
humidity on the bridge cap, technicians are beginning to ask if the
temporary improvement causes greater long term damage.

Thus, opinions are in a state of change about this.  You will find both
views being taught by fine teachers, and you'll hear tempers flare.

Ed Sutton
******************************************************************************************************************************

  I have tried it, as I expect most of us have at one time or
another. Some of us have made an effort to understand what is
actually happening when strings are seated, and spent way too
much time describing and discussing the phenomenon on list
with way too many people who weren't interested in trying to
understand what they believed they saw. It's all there in the
archives, in excruciating detail, if you're interested. If
you're not, I'm not about to waste any more time trying to
explain it to you.

> Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View
> life as a continuous learning experience.
> - Denis Waitley

Denis is getting more strident with each  repetition too,
incidentally.
Ron N

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Thomas
Edison

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404