V-Bar question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 25 19:48:03 MDT 2007

I have never seen a V-bar on a vertical that was not part of the plate casting. I have, as Wim describes, seen rods that sit in a groove in many verticals. However, on many grand pianos I have seen a variety of string thingees - mostly duplex-type things that just sit on the plate - they are not part of the plate, nor do they sit in any kind of groove. Once properly positioned, they seem to stay quite well. I often eliminate front duplex hardward and replace with a half-round brass piece that I do glue in place, but I think mostly is held in place by string pressure.

My suggestion is to determine the proper position of the V-bar, temporarily tack it in place (tape? glue? wedge of some sort?), string it and you will likely find that the piece just sits wherever you put it - just like duplex aliquots do or my half-round does.

Terry Farrell