V-Bar question

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 17:18:02 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/25/07 9:29:50 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
mkurta at roadrunner.com writes:

Hi Gang:
    I'm writing for one of our  sight impaired chapter members who is having
trouble restringing a 36" Sabel  85 note vertical c.1953, European.   He
indicates the treble V-bar is not  cast into the plate and is free to move around.
His question is how does  the V-bar remain in one place as he puts tension on
the strings?  It  seems to be shifting as the strings are brought up to
pitch.  Does string  pressure alone keep it in position?  Does the pressure bar
have any  bearing (pun) on this?  Anyone run into this before?
    Thanks for your help,  and Rodney thanks you too.....
    Mike Kurta,  President
    Syracuse NY  chapter

Mike

I wonder if he is talking about a rod that fits into a groove, similar to
some grands that have this kind of set up. On the grand, however, there is a
slot into which the rod is held in place. I use masking tape the hold the  rod
in place until after a couple of strings are put on. But on a  vertical, the
masking tape might not be strong enough to hold the rod in place  until the
strings are put on. This might a 2 person job.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, Hawaii
Author, "The  Business of Piano Tuning".
available from Potter  Press.
www.pianotuning.com