I 'spec someone does ...

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 23:13:43 MDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Michelle Smith <michelle at smithpianoservice.com> wrote:

>  I've tuned one Hyundai here in the Texas version of the boondocks.  It's
> in a local church, is not particularly old, and the pinblock is so loose
> it's almost untuneable.  We've been discussing a Dampp-Chaser system before
> we move to something more drastic.
>

> Michelle Smith
>

>  ------------------------------

Hi Michelle or is it Alan(?),
Aren't you the lucky one though! Me too! I had a small church acquire a
Hyundai Grand, they were made by Samick about 12 to 20 years ago. The one I
work on has the Samick numbers stamped on the action SG-155
which referred to their 5'2" grand. Anyway if you find the number on the
action you can use the corresponding regulation specs for the Samick
of whatever the number. If not just measure it and find the Samick of the
same size and use those specs.
About the loose pins in the block, do the coils look to be a little higher
from the plate than normal? I noticed they looked that way in the one I do.
I figured at some point I would probably have to drive them, right now they
seem tight enough, I just have to watch my hammer technique and not get lazy
or flagpoling can be a problem.

If your tuning pins are loose and you have the room, you might want to drive
them. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that's a Delignet block in that
piano, Samick used them a lot back then. I don't believe the Delignet blocks
respond to humidifiers as well as other type blocks but that's just what
I've been told, I have no personal experience to that effect. Not that a
Dampp-Chaser wouldn't help, just if the pins are that loose perhaps driving
might help more. The D-C would help with sounding board, action, etc.

Mike
--
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life
as a continuous learning experience.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404