I 'spec someone does ...

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:21:43 MDT 2007

Hi Alan,

Never a dull moment, huh? <grin>

On 9/25/07, Alan Barnard <pianotuner at embarqmail.com> wrote:

>  Tuned a Hyundai G-82 grand, today. First I'd ever seen or even heard of?
> (We live a sheltered life, here in the boondocks, i.e., the Ozarks.)
>
> Pretty case, has potential I think, but regulation is horrible (see horror
> story below) and it badly needs voicing after that.
>
>  Meat of Message (pork, mostly):  *Does anyone out there have a set of reg
> specs for this piano or know where I could reasonable get them?*

Personally, I wouldn't worry to much about getting the specs. They're
usually only sort of a "guide" anyway and need to be refined with the action
in the piano.

>From what you say, assuming the customer will pay for it, I'd pull the
action and set all the jack positions correctly and make sure you have some
repetition, reinstall the action, check/set the let-off (*you might also
have to do some preliminary drop adjustments while the action is out if it's
really messed up*).

Then when you have let-off , make sure the key dip is OK, set samples for
your hammer line to get the aftertouch you want, pull the action again and
set the hammer line. If your drop is basically OK, you can then set the
let-off in the piano, pull the action again and refine the drop.

I've probably forgotten something here but that should at least get you a
decently playing piano. Then go for the voicing!

Avery Todd

 Horror story, the worst note: F5 blocking against the strings "chingank"