Aaaaarrrrrgh, Part Deux

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Sep 26 19:07:22 MDT 2007

Michael,

You miss (avoid?) the point.  You're also going a long way toward offending a number of educated talented, technicians on this list.  What is this:

"Alan I stand corrected, since CA is the miracle cure, restringing should become a rare thing soon?"

Alan (and others) point is that on a block whose pins are plenty far in and still don't hold, CA works.  Most pianos that need tighter pins do not have pins too proud of the plate/block.  Yes, Paul gets it, so does everyone else.

It also does not destroy the block.  Any more than it already is.  If the pins are driven sufficiently (to be clear) and the block won't hold them, well, the block is shot.

Neither of those points have any bearing on restringing, as you suggested.

Sure, restring with oversize pins if the block no longer holds.  Or, just use CA.  If the rest of the piano needs rebuilding as well, of course you'll replace the block, not just pin with oversize (or use CA for that matter).

Yes, CA gets used too much by some, I'm sure.  It is appropriate here, and that was the point.  No one is suggesting hanging hammers with thick CA or some such......

I agree with Don, your posts are inflammatory.  No one attacked you personally with your previous posts, they questioned your methods (myself included).  They didn't call you names or suggest you weren't looking out for your clients best interest.  Sarcasm is great when it's humorous.  Yours is offensive.

Lighten up.

BTW, for someone with an open mind to new ideas, you sure dismissed the impact hammer idea rather quickly, didn't you?

I quote:

"I have no experience with them and have never had any interest in trying them............. Fine tuning is about nuance, how does one get nuance out of an IMPACT hammer? I've never been able to figure that out."

Maybe it's time you tried it before you dismissed it, yes?  You are certainly not innocent of making an uneducated assessment or two.

William R. Monroe