genck and duluth tool bags

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 26 21:39:45 MDT 2007

John

  That's the thing that kept me from buying it earlier.  It's hard to tell on the website photo exactly what you're getting.  It's bigger than I imagined it.  It's bigger than my Genck.  It's heavier than my Genck.  But it does have a nice shoulder strap and I'm thinking at this point, I'd trade the weight issue for the organization issue.

  To answer your questions...

  My invoices fit into one of the flaps that open to reveal the interior.  They're half sheets.  The other side has a pocket that fits 8 1/2x11, though.

  There are a couple of little pockets on the outside that would be perfect for a cell phone or PDA...I put my centerpin tool in one of them...never had a place for that before...I think I'll move that somewhere else eventually.

  There are so many options, I'm sure I haven't found the perfect place for every tool, but it will be fun organizing it all.

That's really the thing, here.  With the Genck, there just weren't many options.  Either a tool fit in the little pocket, or it fit into its little compartment, or it didn't and therefore had to go over here instead.  My tools ended up where they were because that was the only place that they would fit.

  With this Duluth, I have options.  For instance, I had originally put all my combination tools in the pockets on the interior.  They fit in there just fine.  But then, I found that the flap that opens to reveal the interior had pockets on it. It's almost identical to one of those rollup cloth tool organizers you might buy from Schaff.  Except that the pockets are of different lengths.  Well, this is perfect.  Some of my combination tools are longer than others.  Now each one has a pocket the perfect size for it.  I can see all the heads peeking out of their little flaps and immediately access any tool I want.

  I used to keep the shorter ones in the pallet pouches of the Genck, and the longer ones in one of the long compartments in the interior of the case.   Now they're all together, and easily accessible.

  OK, I have to admit here, that I haven't actually taken it out on the road to see how it works in the field.  Yet, I'm so happy that all my tools have a place  (My poor Yamaha key easing tool, with its wooden handle, sitting next to the file and the vise-grip pliers in a compartment of the Genck for the past 5 years...) and are so clearly visible as to be quickly accessible...I can't imagine going back to the Genck again.

Tom Sivak
  Chicago

John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 9/26/07, Tom Sivak wrote:

> I have used a Genck Ultimate case for about ten years now, and I thought I'd
> never switch. It wasn't perfect, but it did meet my basic needs, and even
> if things did spill out into each other's little compartments

> I can't believe how much room there is in there, how many pockets there are,
> and how well everything I have fits in there. ... And now, tools
> aren't rubbing against each other, ruining their wooden handles, etc.
>
> The way it's designed, there's a place for everything, and nothing falls out
> of its pocket and spills out into anything else. It all stays where you put
> it!

Sounds great, Tom. I have the Genck Ultimate also.

Would you mind either posting a photo of the interior of the bag or
sending it directly to me? It's hard to see on the web site just how
our piano tools would fit in there.

Also, is there room enough for things like PTG technical bulletins and
invoices? What about a PDA and cell phone pocket?

--
JF

Ron Paul for President
www.ronpaul2008.com