Off List

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Sep 27 10:30:46 MDT 2007

Mike,
This is getting less useful with every post you make.

Care to comment on your open-mindedness yet?

vis-a-vis your comments on impact levers:

"I have no experience with them and have never had any interest in trying them............. Fine tuning is about nuance, how does one get nuance out of an IMPACT hammer? I've never been able to figure that out."

I bring this up because this attitude is pretty obvious in the rest of your posts.

As to the rest of your flaming.
You write:
"William Monroe jumped in explaining that CA was perfectly acceptable for pins that were already far in and weren't holding, again I stop here and point out that he must have not read my first post asking about the coil to plate distance, " and further "this is the crucial point that EVERYONE seems to have glossed over! WHY?"

As I wrote previously, "Alan (and others) point is that on a block whose pins are plenty far in and still don't hold, CA works.  Most pianos that need tighter pins do not have pins too proud of the plate/block."

We read your first post, Mike.  I think everyone accepts that if the coils are 1/2" above the plate, pound away, that's pretty basic.  That's why we (I) am not addressing it.  Move on.

You write:"When you drive the pin deeper it helps to stir-up/stand-up some of those fibers again giving the threads a new grip, at the same time the pin is tapered and a thicker portion of the pin has moved into a different part of the hole along it's entire length"

I didn't know that tuning pins in general are tapered.  I understand that Bosendorfer and Vose used tapered pins, but I'm unaware of others.  Please inform if you know, I really would be interested.

You write, "I visually inspect blocks for delaminations prior to driving pins, in grands it usually can be seen."

How in the world do you see this.  The stretcher covers one side, the plate the other.  Without removing the block, I can't understand how you can see delaminations in a grand block.  Please explain.

You write, "Even when I preface them with "in my opinion" or "if such and such exists, then I would suggest" they get torn apart, the meaning, meat and flavor are all ripped asunder then reformed into something I barely recognize as my words and thrown back in my face! "

You should consider this when writing your posts.  You do a fine job of just that.  I see no point in responding to the rest of your vitriol.

William R. Monroe