Off List

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 11:49:34 MDT 2007

My feeling is the only answer that will be accepted by anyone is that I had
no point to make.

I asked a question first, then followed it up with a suggestion, IF the
answer to that question was yes.

Everyone ignored the question and jumped all over the suggestion, It wasn't
an order, just a simple suggestion.

As for my open-mindedness if I didn't have an open mind I wouldn't be here!

My comments regarding the impact lever, were that I had no interest in
owning one, we have those in the chapter that do and I have tried them

On 9/27/07, William R. Monroe <pianotech at a440piano.net> wrote:

>  Mike,
> This is getting less useful with every post you make.
>
> Care to comment on your open-mindedness yet?
>
> vis-a-vis your comments on impact levers:
>
>  "I have no experience with them and have never had any interest in trying
> them............. Fine tuning is about nuance, how does one get nuance out
> of an IMPACT hammer? I've never been able to figure that out."
>
> I bring this up because this attitude is pretty obvious in the rest of
> your posts.
>
> As to the rest of your flaming.
> You write:
> "William Monroe jumped in explaining that CA was perfectly acceptable for
> pins that were already far in and weren't holding, again I stop here and
> point out that he must have not read my first post asking about the coil to
> plate distance, " and further "this is the crucial point that EVERYONE seems
> to have glossed over! WHY?"
>
> As I wrote previously, "Alan (and others) point is that on a block whose
> pins are plenty far in and still don't hold, CA works.  Most pianos that
> need tighter pins do not have pins too proud of the plate/block."
>  I was not questioning that point, William! I asked the question if the
> coils were perhaps further than that from the plate, no response!
> We read your first post, Mike.  I think everyone accepts that if the coils
> are 1/2" above the plate, pound away, that's pretty basic.  That's why we
> (I) am not addressing it.  Move on.
>
> You write:"When you drive the pin deeper it helps to stir-up/stand-up some
> of those fibers again giving the threads a new grip, at the same time the
> pin is tapered and a thicker portion of the pin has moved into a different
> part of the hole along it's entire length"
>
> I didn't know that tuning pins in general are tapered.  I understand that
> Bosendorfer and Vose used tapered pins, but I'm unaware of others.  Please
> inform if you know, I really would be interested.
>  The Denro I just micced is
> You write, "I visually inspect blocks for delaminations prior to driving
> pins, in grands it usually can be seen."
>
> How in the world do you see this.  The stretcher covers one side, the
> plate the other.  Without removing the block, I can't understand how you can
> see delaminations in a grand block.  Please explain.
>  I've frequently seen delaminations in grands looking at the edge from the
> action cavity with a mirror or by removing a pin in a suspect area.
> You write, "Even when I preface them with "in my opinion" or "if such and
> such exists, then I would suggest" they get torn apart, the meaning, meat
> and flavor are all ripped asunder then reformed into something I barely
> recognize as my words and thrown back in my face! "
>
> You should consider this when writing your posts.  You do a fine job of
> just that.  I see no point in responding to the rest of your vitriol.
>  I didn't ask for a response, just a little understanding, I'm an
> [...]
   I'm wondering how well you feel you would stand up to the kind of attacks
I've been subjected to the last few days just for venturing my opinion? Now
when I try to respond I'm accused of vitriol. I only attempted to help and
for my trying to help I got ridiculed and kicked in the teeth. What is it
that I've done that is so wrong?
Posting my opinion? Defending my opinion? Joining the list? Being on the
same planet with you superior beings? Yes you'll say the last went too far
but if you look at your letters criticizing EVERYTHING I've said that's the
way you appear to think of yourselves. Go ahead re-read it all, it's a mob
piling on to one guy who just wanted to help another guy. So you all feel I
was wrong, so Alan I'm sorry I tried to help! I'll be very, very, very
careful in any future posts. My apologies to all! Sincerely!!

 William R. Monroe

Mike

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging
their prejudices.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404