Off List, the Bard Speaketh

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:01:05 MDT 2007

List Wars

How oft we do snivel, o'er twaddle and drivel
While tempers and nostrils flare,
When Live and Let Live'l be so much more civil
(Or does anyone really still care?)

The big question, however, is how folks endeavor
(While hurling mud, willy-nilly),
To keep themselves clean, no matter how mean,
Over stuff that's really so silly.

And while I'm confused as to why words are used
To wound those who'd be better as friends,
Can we not call a truce and stop this abuse,
Perhaps rethink each message one sends?

You have to wonder (when all's said and done
And the wounded lie bleeding): Who actually won?
And sometimes, too, with all that todo,
Are cyberwars all that much fun?

These Internet blokes hurling barbs, telling jokes
(Near anonymous, though they may be),
Are often defending what they ought to be ending
To save their own sanity.

And yet ... I marvel

That folks with their skin so exceedingly thin
(You usually can see right through 'em)
Are able to function despite this compunction
To spit forth words, and then rue 'em.

After all ...

When one's skin IS so painfully thin,
How DOES one keep one's insides in?

Alan Barnard
Sometime Supersillyass Poet from Salem, MO