Tool Case and Owner look alike contest

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 28 21:44:45 MDT 2007

> Barbara hit close to home with this one:
>
> "Maybe there should be a contest to see who looks most
> like their tool case...you know like people and their
> pets..."
>
> Unfortunately, I resemble that remark.  A little
> overstuffed, a little confused, but (hopefully) ready
> for anything, if I can just remember where I....
>
> The first person who comes to mind as a contest winner
> is Jack Stebbins.  He is a neat, efficient, trim
> little guy with a neat, efficient, trim little tuning
> kit.
>
> Greg Graham

Back when I was a kid, more distant in years than in
intellect, I recall reading an article in (I think) Field and
Stream about trout fishing. The premise then, as now, was that
trout are at least as smart as anglers and considerably more
cautious, and the best way to sucker them into being angled is
to present a bait that most closely resembles what they are
eating by choice, on this particular day, from what this
particular stream's buffet has to offer at this time. The
author had dissected a couple of trout, presumably dynamited
into his possession, since he hadn't yet ascertained what to
catch them with (this part seems to have been left to the
reader to ponder), and determined from stomach content that
they had been feeding on what was best described as a wretched
mess. Thus enlightened, the author replicated said wretched
mess to the best of his ability in a (mysteriously) dry fly,
and proceeded to thrash the stream's waters to a foam in quest
of the wily trout.

I regret that I don't recall if this approach proved
successful in catching trout, but I've been using a very
similar wretched mess approach to tool case management in
field (if not stream) work, to some positive effect for many
years. Persistent rumors, and some alleged evidence in the
form of obviously altered photographs, as to the employment of
unsportsmanlike explosives in the management of said tool case
remain unsubstantiated and libelous in nature.

Ron N