A Backwards piano?

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert at belgacom.net
Sat Sep 29 12:52:42 MDT 2007

Hi Conrad,

The picture showes indeed our double piano with the top reversed. (you’ve
got a good memory !)

The brand is not Boisselot but Mangeot from France.

In fact these are two pianos mounted separetly the one above the other. For
tuning the lower piano you just have to slide the upper piano backwards on
four wheels for reaching the tuning pins.

It is always verry funny to see the reaction from the pianists who for the
first time play on this reversed keyboard.

Concerning this piano I’d like to tell a funny story from a few years ago.

A pianist was playing a piece from Stravinsky on this piano (these pianos)
first on the « normal « piano and than played the same piece on the reversed
piano (using the same finger positions).

Believe me or not but it suddenly sounded like a piece of Bach. So  I wonder
if Stravinsky could have known such an instrument and just decided to turn
some Bach music backwards ???

The same guy than played a piece from Scott Joplin in major chord.

When playing the same piece on the reversed piano the chord became minor and
it was a completely different piece of music (the melody line is played on
the bass side). This is quite amazing so I think this instrument has (and
maybe had) something to offer to composers.

Sorry for my bad English but I hope you’ll understand.

Kind regards

Pierre Gevaert